2019-07-17 Comments : 0
What role does a cover letter play in the modern scenario of digital profiles? Do they help or they an outdated tool?
In this ever-changing scenario of hiring and employment, it is not possible for a jobseeker to move forward in seeking and gaining employment without a resume. Though merely a resume may not be enough to catch the recruiterâs eyes, in the flurry of a job search. The recruiter comes across hundreds of profiles and resumes and may miss out on yours, but a great way to create impact on tired eyes who are looking for an eligible person is to address them directly.
How can I talk to the recruiter without meeting them?
Your resume does the talking for you! Make it all the more meaningful when you attach a cover letter to it. This needn't be a physical cover or a letter that you attach to your CV, you can create a mission statement at the head of a resume, and address it to the recruiter if you are applying via a physical application.
Basically a cover letter exists to introduce information that is not on your resume, rather than repeat what already on your resume. This is the common error that most candidate fail to correct and why their resume ends being less memorable. This just goes to double up the same information, and they are missing out on a good opportunity to showcase to their potential employer their other skills and outside experiences which may not be written in the resume, but are pertinent to the job position.
Don't forget to use the same keywords in the job opening and company using keywords from the job description. This goes to show the recruiter that you have understood the requirement and can demonstrate your suitability for the job.
What does a sample cover letter consist of?
What needs to be included?
• Address the concerned person in the greeting. It is better than simply writing areto whom it may concern. If you already know the name of the recruiter, then be sure to include it. Else simply state "To the Recruiting Executive" or "Hiring Manager"
• Begin with a personal note on why that job interests you.Acknowledge the job position and the point of relevance to you.
• Highlight those skills that are relevant to the post, with an emphasis on why you would be the perfect fit for the position.
Make sure to mention the certifications that go along with the position; if you own these.
• Talk briefly in general about how you are a team player and mention some soft skills like attention to detail, readiness to take challenges, task-oriented behaviours etc. Mention just one-two points, not too many so as to make it too long.
• Finally include your contact information clearly. Don't forget to sign the document and scan it, in case of hard copy.
In case you are applying online, in the space that allows jobseekers to add to the job application, mention the points that connect with you and your skillset and mention why you are perfect for this position.
What does the recruiter do with a Cover Letter?
Recruiters go through a cover letter or âObjectiveâ in a resume faster if they can see the right keywords displayed prominently. When the Objective clearly summarizes the entire resume in a few sentences, it certainly makes the job way less time-taking for recruiters; they can scan your profile easily.
In addition, when you personalize your resume in application for the job, it shows that you have understood what the company is looking for, at least show interest, so it adds a positive impression and will possibly affect your selection. At least it keeps your profile memorable!
Where can I make a cover letter?
There are a few resources where you can secure the services of writers who will look at your resume and make a cover letter for you. While no one can replicate the exact same content for you, several templates and guiding principles can be found in the resources section of the website https://www.hullojobs.com/cover-letter.htm and Register now, at Hullo Jobs to maximise the success of your job hunt.
Here's a sample of Cover Letter format: